An 86-year-old Chicago man was deep-frying 25 turkeys over the weekend (presumably for sale), when the 30 quarts of hot oil he was using deep fried his own leg, reports ABC. Serafino Alfe suffered third-degree burns and unfortunately, he is probably just one of many who will hurt themselves over the holidays by deep frying the bird.
So knowing deep fry turkey safety tips is critical if you or your relatives plan on throwing the turkey into a vat of oil.
Around the time that Alfe burned himself, the Department of Homeland Security issued a video demonstrating just how quickly a deep friend turkey can essentially become a bomb.
So if you see someone deep frying a turkey, you may want to pass along these safety tips as reported by ABC:
- use turkey fryers outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other combustible materials
- never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck
- make sure fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping
- never leave the fryer unattended as the oil may continue to heat until it catches fire
- don't let children or pets near the fryer, even if it is not in use
- do not overfill the fryer
- use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles
- make sure the turkey is completely thawed because oil and water do not mix and can cause an inferno
- thaw the turkey in the refrigerator for approximately 24 hours for every five pounds in weight
- keep a fire extinguisher nearby
Keep these deep fry turkey safety tips in mind to ensure your safe holidays. Happy Turkey Day.
- Find a Chicago Personal Injury Attorney (FindLaw)
- Cautionary turkey tale: Mount Prospect man deep fries own leg (FindLaw)
- Black Friday (FindLaw)
- William Shatner's Turkey Fryer Fire a Cautionary Tale (FindLaw's Common Law)